It Came From ReverbNation #24 - Featuring Teak, Stolen Rose, Virgil and the Accelerators, Prateek Kuhad, and Silent Motif





From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

Teak – I know, I know.  This is getting ridiculous.  There are simply too many interesting bands out of Australia and they show no signs of dwindling.  Teak is a straight up rock and roll/alt rock band whose submission really impressed me.  The instrumentation strongly reminded of the Foo Fighters sound, while the vocals were reminiscent of a deeper register Chris Martin of Coldplay.  The combination of sounds totally worked for me.  Similar artists include the aforementioned Foo Fighters, Midnight Oil, and 3 Doors Down.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/teak

Stolen Rose – Roaring out of Portland, OR this power trio is looking to rock your world.  If you dig the heavily amplified rock anthems of the 1970s with a little punk flavor thrown in for good measure than these guys will be right up your alley.  One listen to ‘Die By Fire’ and I think you’ll agree with me.


Virgil And The Accelerators – This trio from Birmingham, UK has really got it going on if you’re in the mood for some rock solid heavy blues rock.  Their bio emphasizes how they take inspiration from the likes of ZZ Top, Joe Bonamassa, and The Hoax, but I hear a lot of early 80s musical influences in their sound as well.  For instance I catch Van Halen guitar tones here and there.  Long story short, check these guys out.  You’ll like them.


Prateek Kuhad – Too much tumult in your daily life?  I understand, and I’ve got some good news!  This young man from New York, NY is here to ease your worried mind with his soothing guitar playing and his smooth, jazz inflected vocals.  Honestly I liked his submission so much that I listened to it three times in a row.  Did it bring me inner peace?  No, but I am certifiably crazy and therefore not a good indicator of what a typical person will experience.  Similar artists include Eliot Smith, John Mayer, and Nick Drake.  Click the link folks.


Silent Motif – Alright, here’s a quick story.  Two ambient electronica artists (their bio states the number of artists as three, but I only see two names listed) meet up and decide to create some music that will effectively ‘chill out’ every person residing in Oakland, CA.  They succeed, but they succeed on a much grander scale!  Upon hearing their work the world descends into a deep, deep groove and everything and everyone seems to relax.  Yeah, you could say I liked this submission.  Similar artists include Orbital, Munich Syndrome, and Citizen 16.

Song Sample – No Youtube Sample

Captain Midnight Band – I’ll admit it waveriders.  Based on the band photo I wasn’t sure what to make of this five person outfit from Nashville, TN.  Their description states that they are a rock/jam/soul band.  That sounded good to me so I listened to their submission.  The first song sounded very similar to an Eagles song, while the second was much funkier with a bouncy bass line and tasteful horns.  Similar artists include Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, and Parliament/Funkadelic.  Why don’t you take a listen and see what you hear? 


--Penfold

Comments