The Bell- Great Heat


This album come to me at a most ironic time as I was shivering in beanie's and other cold weather gear. There will be people going, “It snows in Australia?!” and my response will be no. It was just five degrees (Celsius) and I was freezing...

Moving on to the album...

The Heat is The Bell's second release (their first being back in 2007 with Make Some Quiet) and the Sweden based trio have been getting some attention for this one it seems.

The Heat held its appeal for me because it sounds like the 80's music I was brought up listening to- electronic and a little trippy on occasion.

It all kicks off with “Dope Makes You”, smooth riffs, electronic sounds and cool vocals.
“Dope makes you just likes like other men”

“Holiday” is more heavy on the electronics with the vocals also being shrouded with synthetics. It is also relies on the beat more.

“I Can't Change” is one of my favourites as it opens right away with really smooth, and rhythmic sounds, before going into more electronic vocals for the chorus.

“I can't change,
I can't the world”

“The Sound” isn't as heavy as “Holiday” on the synthetics but the chorus opens up and becomes really big electronic rock. The electronic sounds are back in quantity for “Tell Us You're Sorry.”

Opening with smooth sounds “Throw Me A Bone” is another stand out on the album, cool rhythms, raw vocals, catchy lyrics, it is all there.

“I knew it was over,
When you were gone.
You gained independence,
But you don’t know what from.”


“Today” takes you back to the heavy electronics of “Holiday.”

“Today,
I don't want to wait another day”


“What Ever Did You Say?” is the single of the album. It is clean and has catchy lyrics.

“Around and around
With my head in the clouds
I was just about to tell you a lie
What ever did you say?”

Grouped with neat riffs, perfectly balanced synthetics and a good rhythm it is a great song. Well chosen for the single.


“You Fell Behind” goes back onto the heavily electronic. Although it keeps up with the lyrics you would expect.

“You fell behind,
So many times”


Despite being named “23 Seconds” it actually goes for a lot longer than that. It is also much, much cleaner than the other songs. The riffs are more audible now and the vocals are sweet but icy. It is a nice end to a great album.

“The page is turning,
The bridge is burning,
And ashes keep holding on.”


The Heat is a really great album. The Bell hit all of the right notes and buttons to create something that sounds 80's and electronic. Best savoured in cold weather.


-Koala

From the last album

Comments