A Sunday Conversation with Ecotone Refugees

When we stumbled on Water is Rising from Ecotone Refugees we hoped for the best and expected the worst. What we got was an album that became part of our everyday life and soon started to engrain itself in the fabric of our existance. We were able to catch up with Johnny and Dave, and fired off our usual volley of questions. Here's what some of New York's finest had to say.



When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, Johnny Mathis, Perry Como, and Simon & Garfunkle, the first time I ever hear Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphanies since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

Johnny - I've had several epiphanies. One was when I first heard "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath, I thought to myself, this band is scary, and being a fan of horror movies and their soundtracks, I was thrilled to hear this new sound. Another was when I heard "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Now here’s a band that is totally insane, or maybe just riding the razorblade between genius and insanity, after all, what band would write a song that would take up the length of a whole album side. I like the idea of art being free and writing a song that goes on a journey. When I first heard "Roundabout" by Yes, I never knew a song could be complex, catchy and groove so hard. And being that I played organ at the time, Wakeman’s solo was a total turn on. Nirvana exited me because besides the raw energy, they used unique chord progressions that hadn’t been done much before. I’ve always had a fascination as a songwriter with finding the lost chord or a progression never played before.

Dave – First of all, I grew up in a similar household to you, we listened to the Carpenters and broadway showtunes and we sang every night.
Then, one day I got some free tapes from the Columbia record club, and I heard AC/DC Dirty Deeds, and was blown off my couch. Then, also in the collection was The Doors American Poetry album and I knew then that I wanted to write lyrics. Then I heard Black Flag, and I realized that I didn’t have to sing like Robert Plant to get on a mic.
My latest epiphany was 2 years ago when I picked up the bass and joined this band. It’s the first time I played an instrument in a band and the first time I’ve sung with another singer.


Genre's are so misleading and such a way to pigeonhole bands. Without resorting to labels, how would you describe your music?

Intense, intriguing, inspiring, emotional, raw, intellectual, back to basics, dark, melodic, trippy, it’s not just the destination enjoy the ride.

What is your musical intention? What are you trying to express or get your audience to feel?

We want to pluck some emotional strings and trip people out. We want them to be entertained. We want them to have as much fun listening to it as we’re having playing it.


Ecotone Refugees blend a variety of different musical styles to create the ear candy that is Water is Rising. What was your approach to making this album? What was your inspiration?

No Rules. That was our approach. And we have to like it first. If anyone else likes it, we will count ourselves lucky.



In songwriting, how do you bring the song together? What do you look for in terms of complexity? Simplicity? Time changes?

Dave – For me it’s all about an emotional reaction to what I’m trying to create in the moment, then trying to edit it to make the words presentable.

Johnny – A cool progression, a catchy bassline, finding a tempo that feels good, repeat until a simple vocal phrase comes to mind. When something hits you, go with the flow. Work on the details later.


What piece of your music are you particularly proud of?

Water Rising.


The business of music is a brutal place. Changes in technology have made it easier than ever for bands to get their music out, but harder than ever to make a living? What are your plans to move the band forward? How do you stay motivated in this brutal business?

We’re trying to get a grassroots following. Our next album is mostly written. We’re motivated because we love it, not because it’s easy. We want to get on tour as soon as we can.


Anyone who’s been in the music biz for more than a few hours seems to have a “Spinal Tap” story or two. So far, what’s your best story?

A few years ago, before we formed this band, Dave and I were in LA at a songwriting convention. At night, everybody had broken into little song circles around the hotel. This guy was listening to us and he looked like one of the speakers, a major A&R guy. So we say “Bob right”? (name changed), He says yeah, nice to meet you. We start playing our hearts out, for like a half an hour. Much to our dismay, we later found out the only thing he had in common with the real Bob was his name and a certain resemblance. We may have been embarrassed, but we had the beginnings of the first song on Dave’s last solo album.


Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

I like cds, digital sounds kind of crappy, but it allows us to be exposed to much more music than we ever could have heard before digital came along.


We, at The Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. When we come to your town, what's the best record store to visit?

I don’t know if it’s the best, but there’s a store with a ton of old vinyl across the street from where we rehearse. Earwax on Bedford is pretty decent.

Comments